The purpose of this committee is to evaluate and improve two-way communication with the community and to advocate for the educational interests of all our students at both the state and local levels. When appropriate, we attend meetings (both for members only and with Legislators) on advocacy hosted by the New York Suburban Consortium for Public Education (formerly the Lower Westchester Education Consortium). The consortium was formed to address the negative consequences of some of New York State's mandated educational reforms.
Ongoing issues of concern include:
Pelham Advocacy Committee
- Concerns with Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR) and its impact on teachers and students;
- Increase in standardized testing and lack of meaningful data from the tests to improve learning;
- Gap elimination adjustment;
- Premature linking of test scores to the evaluation of teachers and principals;
- Continuation of unfunded mandates; and
- Protecting the privacy of student data.
Superintendent of Schools Peter Giarrizzo
School Board Member Madeline Smith
School Board Member Marianne Gilland